Sunday, November 9, 2008

Greed - Man's Everlasting Quest

I'm not an extremely religious man, but recently I've decided to start attending services with my mother, in order to spend more time with her and the rest of my family. Usually I daze in and out, waiting for the service to come to an end, but today something caught my attention. Today someone got on stage and mentioned a quote that hit me hard. I don't recall it verbatim, but it went something like this, "Man is so greedy, that God is is not enough." It would take many conversations to explain, but I understood this quote as "Man is so greedy, that his own mind is not enough to satisfy him."

The power of the mind is extreme and infinite, yet man is still in search of more. Man wants to control not only his own wants and desires, but he also strives to expand that control to the minds of others. Ego plays an enormous role in the actions of a greedy mind. It's not that the greedy mind wants or needs nice things, but he wants, or feels the need, to have nicER things than others. I want a bigger house, faster cars, and more money than my counterparts. I want to know that I survive better than my peers. These greedy feelings are bred deep within my being, and it makes me wonder if these feelings lay naturally among everyone or if this is unique to me.

No comments:

[some useful links]

Digg! Directory of Finance Blogs Add to Technorati Favorites Delicious del.icio.us Top Blogs